Tilesheet index properties shared between maps?

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:50 PM
I was wondering what people would think would be best practice when working with tile properties shared between many maps. Naturally, one would design a game so that different levels are different maps in the tide editor, but it would be a headache to set tile index properties for the tileset of each map individually when the tiles should behave the same between maps. Example: In level 1, I would set a platform tile's tile index property to "platform", and any time an instance of that tile appears in a map, it is given the "platform"-property. But in level 2 I would have to reassign the property to ensure that the tile still is set as a platform in this level.

Does the editor support any kind of tilesheet tile index property sharing? If not, i'm thinking one could create a map and set all the global tile properties in that map, then in XNA load that map and using those tile properties and attach them to tiles of other maps. Alternatively, I could hardcode a link between tile indices and properties in the C# code, but that sounds even worse.

Thanks
/Jakob
Coordinator
Aug 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Going with what you suggested, you could set up a map file containing tile sheets only, corresponding to those in the actual levels. You could define the properties in the common tilesheets and test the tile indices of the level against the common tilesheet tile properties.
Aug 10, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Yea, I think i'll go with that. Thanks for the repsonse :)