WP7 Mango Update and xTile

Coordinator
Oct 31, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Lately I've been considering migrating the WP7 xTile library and demo app projects to the 7.1 SDK in line with Mango. However, if my understanding is correct, this means that xTile would be usable only for Mango apps and that these would not work on a pre-Mango phone. I believe I also read somewhere that such apps, if published, would not even be presented on the Windows Phone Marketplace if the latter is accessed on a pre-Mango phone.

Since the xTile library and the demo app for WP7 7.0 projects currently work fine on both pre- and post-Mango phones, I am for now inclined not to migrate them. Any feedback in this regard would be welcome.

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:28 PM

That is correct, if you update to Mango you cannot use it on pre-mango phones.

Nov 3, 2011 at 10:25 PM

What are the benefits of Mango for games? I'm developing my engine at 7.0 spec and testing on a 7.5 phone, and I don't really see what the difference would be.

Maybe once another update comes out, update xTile. By then, most phones should be caught up. A good percentage of users will probably never plug their phone in to update it, but new phone sales should dilute the percentage of users stuck at the earlier revisions.

Coordinator
Nov 3, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Well, if you're literally asking for a list benefits, here's the official one.

I am in the process of releasing an update for Galactic Overlord, a WP7 game that will feature realtime multiplayer through the use of sockets, something I could not do prior to the Mango update. So there is definitely grounds for upgrading at some point. I'm waiting for the multiplayer version to be released through Yalla Apps.

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:43 PM

There is a ton of reasons why you should upgrade.

If you want to focus less time on inventing UI then you can use the mixed Silverlight and XNA solution which is nice.

You can create a game at 60 fps instead of 30.

Many users have already upgraded and you can keep both your old and "updated" mango app in the marketplace at the same time.

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:16 PM

I'm trying to use xTile in a mixed Silverlight and XNA app but there is an issue with the content processor.

I can only pick tIDE as the importer but there is no tIDE Map Processor in the picklist.

So at the moment its a no go for xTile...